This lesson reinforces the importance of preventing and reporting bullying. Students learn a simple process for asking an adult for help with bullying and practice in pairs. Then they design signs for a Safety Ambassadors’ campaign to help others at school understand that bullying is wrong and the importance of reporting it.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate how to effectively ask for help to prevent bullying.
- Demonstrate how to persuade others to prevent bullying.
- social awareness
- relationship skills
- responsible decision making
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- V-3: Avoid bullying or being a bystander to bullying.
- V-7: Get help to prevent or stop violence, including harassment, abuse, bullying, hazing, fighting, and hate crimes.
- V-9: Get help to stop being subjected to violence or physical abuse.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.5.3: Describe ways in which safe and healthy school and community environments can promote personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.5.4: Describe how the school and community can support personal health practices and behaviors.
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.5.4: Demonstrate how to ask for assistance to enhance personal health.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.5.1: Express opinions and give accurate information about health issues.
- Performance Indicator 8.5.2: Encourage others to make positive health choices.