This lesson helps students express a personal choice to be tobacco free. After reviewing some everyday choices they make for themselves, students consider what their choice about tobacco will be. They learn questions to ask themselves when making a choice and answer these questions in relation to tobacco use. They explore the meaning of making a pledge, then create personal pledge strips to join into a chain. They display their classroom chain in support of being tobacco free to encourage other students at their school to commit to being tobacco free too.
Students will be able to:
- Describe the benefits of not using tobacco.
- Express intentions to be tobacco free.
- Encourage peers to be tobacco free.
- responsible decision making
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
- T-3: Support a tobacco-free environment.
- T-4: Support others to be tobacco free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 5: Decision Making
- Performance Indicator 5.2.1: Identify situations when a health-related decision is needed.
- Performance Indicator 5.2.2: Differentiate between situations when a health-related decision can be made individually or when assistance is needed.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.1: Demonstrate healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.2.2: Encourage peers to make positive health choices.