This lesson promotes stretching as a form of physical activity that can help keep the body healthy. Students discuss benefits of stretching, then they learn and practice some simple stretches, led by the teacher. They continue to practice the stretching routine throughout the week. They take home a family sheet to help them discuss stretching with their parents or guardians.
Students will be able to:
- Describe the benefits of stretching.
- Demonstrate appropriate stretching activities.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PA-2: Regularly engage in physical activities that enhance cardiorespiratory endurance, flexibility, muscle endurance, and muscle strength.
- PA-5: Follow a physical activity plan for healthy growth and development.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.1: Demonstrate healthy practices and behaviors to maintain or improve personal health.