In this lesson, students set a goal to be active for 60 minutes a day. They explore the benefits of being physically active and identify key rewards for themselves. Then they review the steps for setting a goal, and discuss who can help them meet their activity goal.
Students will be able to:
- Describe how being physically active can help a person feel better.
- Describe the benefits of being physically active.
- Take steps to achieve a personal goal to be active for 60 minutes a day.
- Identify people who can help achieve a personal goal to improve physical activity.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PA-1: Engage in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 60 minutes every day.
- PA-2: Regularly engage in physical activities that enhance cardiorespiratory endurance, flexibility, muscle endurance, and muscle strength.
- PA-5: Follow a physical activity plan for healthy growth and development.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 6: Goal Setting
- Performance Indicator 6.2.1: Identify a short-term personal health goal and take action toward achieving the goal.
- Performance Indicator 6.2.2: Identify who can help when assistance is needed to achieve a personal health goal.