This lesson explains the importance of water for health. Students identify different beverage choices and learn which are healthiest. They discuss all the different ways and times they can drink water when they are thirsty, then practice asking for water when they are given a choice of what to drink. They complete an activity sheet to picture the health benefits of drinking water and encourage their peers to drink more water.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the importance of choosing healthy beverages.
- Identify the benefits of drinking plenty of water.
- Describe the types of beverages that should be limited.
- Make requests to others about preferences for drinking water.
- Encourage peers to make healthy beverage choices.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- FN-6: Drink lots of water.
- FN-7: Avoid sugary drinks.
- FN-12: Support healthy eating patterns for others.
- PA-4: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after physical activity.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.2.1: Make requests to promote personal health.
- Performance Indicator 8.2.2: Encourage peers to make positive health choices.