In this lesson, students review the different safety smart actions they’ve been learning. They create a safety smart rule book featuring their safety smart activity sheets. Then they learn some simple steps for goal setting and choose a safety smart behavior they intend to practice.
Students will be able to:
- Describe how injuries can be prevented.
- Identify a realistic personal short-term goal to make safety smart choices to avoid or reduce injury.
- Take steps to achieve a personal goal to avoid or reduce injury.
- Identify people who can help achieve a personal goal to avoid or reduce injury.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- PA-6: Avoid injury during physical activity.
- S-4: Apply safety rules and procedures to avoid risky behaviors and injury.
- S-5: Avoid safety hazards in the home and community.
- S-6: Recognize and avoid dangerous surroundings.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.4: List ways to prevent common childhood injuries.
- Standard 6: Goal Setting
- Performance Indicator 6.2.1: Identify a short-term personal health goal and take action toward achieving the goal.
- Performance Indicator 6.2.2: Identify who can help when assistance is needed to achieve a personal health goal.