In this lesson, students consider how families grow and change. They complete an activity sheet to create a “quilt” that shows the shape and size of their families. They compare their quilts to show that families are all unique and special. They discuss good things about being part of a family—how their families help them and how they help their families. Then they review some of the ways families may grow and change through the years and in response to life events. They take home a family sheet to help them discuss ways families help their members be healthy.
Students will be able to:
- Compare their family size and shape to others.
- Describe how families grow and change.
- Identify the benefits of healthy family relationships.
- Illustrate how their family helps them be healthy.
- social awareness
- relationship skills
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-7: Show acceptance of differences in others.
- MEH-8: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
- MEH-9: Practice habits that promote mental and emotional well-being.
- SH-2: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.2.1: Identify how the family influences personal health practices and behaviors.