This lesson explores how families can support students in being tobacco free. Students identify ways their family members can help them be tobacco free and protect them from secondhand smoke and vaping aerosol, then practice how they could ask for support from their families for being tobacco free. They take home a mini-poster to remind them of their choice to be tobacco free.
Students will be able to:
- Identify family rules about avoiding tobacco use.
- Identify how their families can help them stay tobacco free.
- Make requests to others to help support tobacco-free choices.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- T-3: Support a tobacco-free environment.
- T-4: Support others to be tobacco free.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.2.1: Identify how the family influences personal health practices and behaviors.
- Standard 3: Accessing Resources
- Performance Indicator 3.2.1: Identify trusted adults and professionals who can help promote health.
- Standard 4: Communication
- Performance Indicator 4.2.1: Demonstrate healthy ways to express needs, wants, and feelings.
- Standard 8: Advocacy
- Performance Indicator 8.2.1: Make requests to promote personal health.