This lesson explores why people smoke or vape tobacco products. Students listen to and participate in telling an interactive story about a first grader who wants to understand tobacco use. Through the story they explore why kids start smoking or vaping and why it’s important for them to stay tobacco free.
Students will be able to:
- Describe the dangers of experimenting with tobacco.
- Name influences on the decision to smoke or vape.
- Express intentions to be tobacco free.
- responsible decision making
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- T-1: Avoid using (or experimenting with) any form of tobacco.
- T-2: Avoid exposure to secondhand smoke and aerosol.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.2.1: Identify how the family influences personal health practices and behaviors.
- Performance Indicator 2.2.3: Describe how the media can influence health behaviors.