This lesson teaches that families are all different and special in their own ways. After the teacher shares a little about his or her family, students do the same with a partner. They explore how their families are similar and different, and the importance of accepting all kinds of families. Then they make a family storybook to share with others.
Students will be able to:
- Analyze ways families are alike and different.
- Identify the benefits of healthy family relationships.
- Identify how family influences personal health.
- social awareness
- relationship skills
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- MEH-7: Show acceptance of differences in others.
- MEH-8: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
- SH-2: Establish and maintain healthy relationships.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.1: Identify that healthy behaviors impact personal health.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.2.1: Identify how the family influences personal health practices and behaviors.