This lesson helps students understand safety rules when riding a school bus. Students review when they might ride a school bus and the differences between a school bus and a car. They learn safety rules to follow when waiting for, riding and exiting a school bus. They practice applying the rules by giving a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to actions described in various scenarios and explaining how following the safety rules would correct the situations that are unsafe.
Students will be able to:
- Identify safety behaviors when getting on and off and while riding on a bus.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- S-1: Follow appropriate safety rules when riding in or on a motor vehicle.
- S-5: Avoid safety hazards in the home and community.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.4: List ways to prevent common childhood injuries.
- Standard 2: Analyzing Influences
- Performance Indicator 2.2.2: Identify what the school can do to support personal health practices and behaviors.