This lesson teaches about safety rules for walking and crossing the street. Students review and practice steps for both walking safely and crossing the street safely. They affirm the importance of obeying traffic signs and using crosswalks, then complete an activity sheet to identify street smart choices.
Students will be able to:
- Describe how to be a safe pedestrian.
- Demonstrate how to walk and cross the street safely.
Healthy Behavior Outcomes
- S-4: Apply safety rules and procedures to avoid risky behaviors and injury.
- S-5: Avoid safety hazards in the home and community.
- S-6: Recognize and avoid dangerous surroundings.
National Health Education Standards
- Standard 1: Comprehending Concepts
- Performance Indicator 1.2.4: List ways to prevent common childhood injuries.
- Standard 7: Practicing Health-Enhancing Behaviors
- Performance Indicator 7.2.2: Demonstrate behaviors that avoid or reduce health risks.