Vice President of Public Affairs (Remote - Washington DC)
HOW YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Public Affairs is responsible for providing strategic leadership in driving a comprehensive public affairs agenda across the organization, including leading and oversight of the advocacy and communications teams; ensuring alignment of communications, policy, advocacy, and thought leadership strategies with external stakeholders; As a member of the Leadership Team, the Vice President of Public Affairs assures reputation management and external relations are consistent with the values and business objectives and helps create programmatic responses that strengthen reputation and proactively address policy barriers to achieving ETR’s mission. This position works remotely in Washington, DC; remote candidates outside of Washington, DC considered with ability to commute to Washington, DC multiple times per month.
- You possess excellent communication and relationship-building skills with colleagues, partners and clients with utmost integrity, courtesy and diplomacy.
- You are capable of embracing the ideas of others and seek to understand others’ points of view in order to further our shared mission and vision.
- You enjoy working independently as well as collaboratively to meet goals and deadlines.
- You are capable of using technology to effectively and professionally communicate with co-located and remote colleagues.
- You are self-motivated and capable of strategically prioritizing multiple tasks in a fast-moving environment.
- You embrace a spirit of learning and curiosity in your work and proactively seek out answers and solutions to questions and challenges that arise.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- Master’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Business Administration or related field and/or equivalent experience.
- 5 or more years of executive leadership and managerial experience in public, for-profit, or not-for-profit organizations.
- 10 or more years of professional experience in strategic and crisis communications, federal and/or state advocacy with practical knowledge of concepts, considerations, and functions pertinent to the field.
- Strong record of successful financial oversight and sound business judgment.
- Appreciation for and commitment to the mission of ETR.
- Experience supervising senior-level personnel and mentoring professionals in the areas of communications and advocacy.
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated track record of defining, communicating and implementing a forward-looking, comprehensive vision for external affairs at a mission-driven non-profit.
- Experience, knowledge, skills, and competence working to meet the needs of diverse communities.
- Exceptional leadership, human relations, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to motivate staff.
- Deep understanding of public policy development and how to influence public policy at the local, state, and national levels.
- Ability to solve problems and facilitate problem-solving.
- Willing and able to travel 10 or more times per year, including by air.
- The use of a personal vehicle or rental car for ETR business will require a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
Location: Location: Remote work in Washington, DC; remote candidates outside of Washington, DC considered with ability to commute to Washington, DC multiple times per month.
Starting Pay Range: $164,400 to $201,000 annually. The typical hiring range for this position is $164,400 to $182,700 at 100% FTE. The starting salary is determined based on the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience.
WORKING AT ETR
ETR employees enjoy a competitive salary, amazing 401(k) and health benefits as well as generous PTO and holiday pay. You will contribute to making a difference in the world!
WHO WE ARE
ETR (Education, Training and Research) is a national non-profit. We are passionate about our mission, which is to improve health and increase opportunities for youth, families and communities. We seek to promote equity and justice through first understanding, and then addressing, the ways health and education outcomes are influenced by the complex interactions between people and their environment.
As an organization with a focus on mission-driven impact, we value diversity and inclusion of different perspectives and ideas. We emphasize collaboration and continuous learning, both within the organization and in our partnerships.
We are looking for people who share our passion for health equity, social justice and learning. ETR is an equal opportunity employer and supports a vision where all staff – regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, socioeconomic background, or religious affiliation – feel there is space for a diversity of experiences to be represented, respected and valued.
THE IMPACT WE ARE LOOKING TO MAKE
We envision a world where all people have the information, skills and opportunities to lead healthy lives. We endeavor to reduce disparities and increase equity in health and education. We are committed to uplifting and supporting our partners to do work across the country and around the globe in four main areas:
- HIV, sexual, and reproductive health (HIV/SRH)
- Equity and inclusion in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields
- Alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- School-based health and wellness
We realize our vision and achieve our mission by linking innovation and research to practice. We drive the science through program development, applied research and evaluation. We scale innovation through capacity building and dissemination.
WORKING AT ETR
ETR has a distributed workforce across three co-located offices in California, as well as individual employees located around the nation. ETR employees enjoy a competitive salary, an amazing 401(K) and robust health benefits, as well as generous PTO and holiday pay. We offer remote working flexibility when possible. Join us. You will work with inspiring colleagues and contribute to making a difference in the world!
ETR is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
EEO and AA Employer/VET/Disabled
ETR is an equal opportunity employer and supports a vision where all staff – regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, socio-economic background, or religious affiliation – feel there is space for a diversity of experiences to be represented, respected and valued.